Yamaha Triples
Search Forums | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendar | Albums | Chat | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

XS Race Bike
Moderators: Moderators

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Modifications -> Custom BikeMessage format

REDMAN
Posted 2009-10-27 3:51 AM (#79352 - in reply to #78482)
Subject: RE: XS Race Bike

Expert

Just got back from the greymouth street races over the weekend. I've spectated at this iconic race many times and it was always a dream of mine to race and finally this year got to have a go.
Had an absolute blast, It would be fair to say as a first timer at Greymouth/street racing I was pooping myself , theres no run off or sand traps, just wire safety fences and hay bales keeping the bikes and spectators apart ( which is why around 8-10,000 people line the track to watch, you can almost touch the bikes as they go past.
The amazing thing is the local community pulls together and starts building the track at 5am on race day and by 8.30am its ready to go, amazing effort!
It turned out to be one of the most exciting and intense things I done in my whole life!
As a first timer we got to have an extra practice, first timers have to wear a bright yellow t shirt so everyone knows to watch out for you.

1st practice went well( with all the other first timers ), 2nd practice( with my class this time ) also went well but as confidence grew I overshot a couple of corners and nearly clipped the fences so that was a wake up call .

First race I started on the 2nd to back row to try and keep out of trouble, the start straight is only about 500m long but ends with a sharp right hander that has a usuable line of about 1.5meters wide.
I got a great start, far better than expected and ended up going into turn one around 100kmh after breaking down from 140-150 5 bikes wide all aiming for the same spot - F'n scary, it was like a motocross first turn bumping bars etc . First lap is pretty much survival mode as 42 bikes try to get going and find a bit of space. By the second lap I made my first pass and for the next 3 laps managed to pass a bike or two each lap.
Its was all over in about 5 minutes but one hell of a 5 mins, so intense I was drenched in sweat, heart pumping, even had arm pump which I haven't had since my MX days- wickedly intense.
I started in 36th spot out of 42 and finished 15th so I was stoked.

The first round of racing ( 8 classes - F1, F3, Bears, Supermotard, post classic, pre 63, buckets, and all in formula Greymouth) saw plenty of restarts due to crashes and sadly 4 riders took the meat wagon the hospital but nothing critical just bones and concussions etc.

Round two was the same, a lap of survival then slowly moved through the field from the back ending up 16th, everyone was riding better so I was pretty happy with that. Had a great battle with a guy on an RD400 and another on a 500cc kawasaki triple.

Round three I rode the fastest of the day but due an average start and a near death experience in turn one when a TT500 based bike slid out right in front of me and the RD 400 guy I ended up 18th. Had a great dice with a guy on a full on Norton 850 racer which was cool.

My goal before the event was 1, dont crash and 2, finish top twenty so I achieved both and will be coming back next year. I was an amazing experienceand I cant wait to go back.
Street racing is quite different to circuit racing and I think I'm hooked.

Pic below of the track map, me before first practice( probably see brown stains down my leathers ) also a link to some pics of bikes that raced, the pics really dont do justice to the track or the racing but you can see some of the variety being raced.

http://www.barrywhitnall.com/Sport/Motorcycles/Greymouth-Street-Rac...

Cheers
Red

(2004_0526greym0002.JPG)

(2004_0525greymouth0002.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 2004_0526greym0002.JPG (75KB - 227 downloads)
Attachments 2004_0525greymouth0002.JPG (67KB - 229 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2018 PD9 Software
(Delete all cookies set by this site)