Yamaha Triples
Search Forums | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendar | Albums | Chat | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

XS Race Bike
Moderators: Moderators

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Modifications -> Custom BikeMessage format

REDMAN
Posted 2008-11-01 3:05 AM (#65027 - in reply to #64321)
Subject: RE: XS Race Bike

Expert

Hi All,
First race meeting went really well. Day was sunny and warm.
Bike went fantastically well, no problems and heaps of positive comments about how it looks, sounds etc.
I ended up in the pits next to the other pre 82 bikes and learned a lot about lines and racing in general from these guys. They were all really freindly and happy to offer advice.
The guy next to me had an ex endurance racer XJ750 with 900 cylinders, custom frame and alloy tank that was imported from the UK.
Our class ( Pre 82 ) was actually a really small class ( 11 bikes)at this meeting which was kinda good for my first race nerves.
We went out for a 6 lap practice then did two 6 lap races through the day in between all the other classes.

First race had me on the second row of the grid, got a good but tentative start, I just wanted to keep out of everyones way. Bike accelerated well vs the other bikes and I was about 50m behind the lead group by turn 3.
Then it all turned to custard, a CB1100 in the lead group blew its primary chain through the cases and dropped oil on the track, this took down 1st - 3rd bikes leaving me breifly in 3rd position.
I had a half lap fight with an RD400, I could out accelerate him but his corner speed on 2 or 3 corners was much higher than mine and he eventually got away from me.
On the last two laps I was starting to gain on him as my speed improved but he was still 3 corners ahead of me by the chequered flag .
I ended up 4th place out of 11 bikes that started so not a bad start.

2nd race was a depleted feild due to the crashes and some mechanical failures.
I got a better start and was close to the leaders into first turn but turn 2 is a really fast kink that I didn\'t have the balls to take full throttle like the more experienced riders were so I lost a bit of time there and never really caught up.
Once again the RD400 guy passed me half way through the race.
I gave myself a couple of scares trying to catch up to him and took the approach that I\'m not prepared to bin the bike to get a 4th and ruin all my hard work.
I ended up finishing 5th which was last running bike, about half a lap behind the leaders.

All up a great day, learnt a lot , I\'ve ridden faster but the experience will be valuable.
I need to get on the track more to get the race lines woked out, there were a few corners that I just couldn\'t get right that cost me time each lap. Sort them out and I might just be competitive.

Sadly no video again, I set the camera up for practice, it seemed to work OK but then it wouldn\'t turn off and stop recording. Didn\'t like the triple vibes I guess! .
The track photographer only got one shot of me which was also disapointing.
Oh well next time.

Next race is the 8th of November if funds allow.

Cheers
Red
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2018 PD9 Software
(Delete all cookies set by this site)