Yamaha Triples
Search Forums | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendar | Albums | Chat | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

XS Race Bike
Moderators: Moderators

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Modifications -> Custom BikeMessage format

REDMAN
Posted 2013-03-08 3:01 PM (#120939 - in reply to #120936)
Subject: Re: XS Race Bike

Expert

Senlisian - 2013-03-09 5:11 AM

You change the oil after every meeting?! I hope you're selling it to someone!!
I'm not surprised the internals are spotless, they don't stand a chance of being dirtied!

Regarding the oil weight, I've read in the French repair manual that Yamaha highly recommends NOT using a lighter weight oil for this bike. I understand this is is general rule for air-cooled bikes (that they need to use 20w50 or at the lightest 15w50) and this is due to wider component clearances than modern bikes use.
Does this mean therefore that if tolerances are closed up on an engine it could accept (or even need) a thinner viscosity oil? This seems to go against what your engine builder has told you, so maybe you could throw this question at him?

In your case it's a race bike and you change the oil like a maniac so I'm sure all is fine, but for a road/weekend race bike the requirements for the oil will be different.

Thats a good point about the tolerances and oil weight, I hadn't considered. I just got in the habit of buying 10/40 over the years for other bikes. I'll check with Greg and put 20/50 in next change.

I'm putting the finishing touches on the bike this morning then heading out to start the bike up and start jetting the carbs
Cant wait, I'll post some vid if we get it to run and idle.

Cheers
Red
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2018 PD9 Software
(Delete all cookies set by this site)