Yamaha Triples
Search Forums | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendar | Albums | Chat | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Shifter Shaft Oil Seal
Moderators: Moderators

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Maintenance and Repair -> EngineMessage format

Barocca
Posted 2017-03-06 11:40 PM (#152956)
Subject: Shifter Shaft Oil Seal

In the 2012 thread titled "Shifter Shaft Replacement" (http://www.yamaha-triples.org/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=17062&DisplayType=flat&setCookie=1), Tomlee outlines the Shifter Shaft Oil Seal replacement process thus:

"For bikes with an oil leak at the shifter shaft seal, and have no defect on the shifter shaft itself, I found that I could change the seal without removing the shifter shaft by removing the transmission's mainshaft bearing support from the left side of the engine. The left side cover is removed and then remove the four bolts holding the mainshaft bearing support. (the shifter shaft passes through an "outrigger" support on the mainshaft bearing support cover). Take a long screwdriver and lightly tap the mainshaft support bearing cover from the right hand side of the bike to get the mainshaft bearing support to start to move. gently pull and tug on the bearing support cover and it should come out. A large "O" ring holds the mainshaft bearing support in place. Then the old shift shaft seal can be pried out, clean the sealing surfaces, and install the new seal on to the shift shaft and press it into place. Then install the mainshaft support bearing and side cover. This way one doesn't have to remove the entire clutch and kick starter mechanisms just to change the shift shaft seal. "

I am not able to clearly understand how this works (I blame my inexperience with the bike, perhaps leavened with a little dumbness). Could anyone explain the process including:
Must engine oil be drained
Is contact breaker and governor (ATD) removed
Are there any new gaskets needed
Any other warnings that an inexperienced owner should be alert to with this operation

I would be grateful for any assistance available. Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software
(Delete all cookies set by this site)