Yamaha Triples
Search Forums | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendar | Albums | Chat | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

automotive replacement ignition coils for1981 XS850
Moderators: Moderators

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Maintenance and Repair -> IgnitionMessage format

robbovius
Posted 2010-09-07 8:14 AM (#90953 - in reply to #87190)
Subject: RE: automotive replacement ignition coils for1981 XS850

Hi guys, just thought I'd update you on how the suzuki car coils are working on my old 850. they work great, this experiment is a total success. the bike starts within three revs from cold, every time, even after sitting a week or two ( I still prefer my Burgman 650 as its much more comfortable, and has that underseat trunk), but I take the old yammie to work a couple times a week (did today in fact) , and run errands on it on weekends. it runs better than it ever did with the stock coils.

the links to the pics in the OP got broken so I'm reposting them here.

her's a pic of the bracket I made to mount them (it bolts to the stock airbox mounts)

for ignition wire I'm using old Bosch solid-core stuff scrounged off of old mercedes benz SOHC V8s sitting in my favorite auto boneyard. it needed a couple feet to comfortably get from where the suzuki coils are mounted up to the plugs.

the wiores are all dressed and routed under the tank, covered in some of that split-wrap plastic flexible wire conduit (about the only thing I bought for the conversion)

a rather grainy pic of the bike now.

good luck!

Edited by robbovius 2010-09-07 8:15 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2018 PD9 Software
(Delete all cookies set by this site)