Yamaha Triples
Search Forums | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendar | Albums | Chat | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

automotive replacement ignition coils for1981 XS850
Moderators: Moderators

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Maintenance and Repair -> IgnitionMessage format

sword_guy8
Posted 2015-09-08 10:43 PM (#146011 - in reply to #145955)
Subject: Re: automotive replacement ignition coils for1981 XS850

Coils out of a GMC Sierra 4.8l = nope.

Weird things I found while trying to do this:
-When I had a single GMC coil plugged in and the rest left stock, the bike would start and run fine on all three cylinders.
-Plugging in all three GMC coils the same way that I had the first one resulted in nothing.
-Testing different ways of connecting a single GMC coil with the others still plugged in revealed a workaround.
-Either I immediately got confused, or the workaround was my imagination, but after hard-wiring the coil the same way as in my test, no spark.

I gave up and put the stock coils back in. I'm going to try to make a simple ignition module (all it has to do is bring voltage up to 12, then bring it back down to 0 when triggered).

Other notes:
-I could make the GMC coils throw a spark by connecting them to a battery a certain way and touching the trigger wire to the battery. They would throw a spark about 1 inch long in free air.
-I was using the negative terminal of the battery I had the coil hooked to as a ground. When I moved the wire further than an inch, it arced into the battery and ignited the gasses inside. It blew off the vent cap! It's an AGM battery, so not much hydrogen in it. I'm lucky it wasn't a lead-acid battery.
-Testing the stock coils got me a VERY weak spark that wouldn't jump more than 1/4". The coils just throw a weak spark, end of story. Could be that they're old, or could be that they're of a bad design.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2018 PD9 Software
(Delete all cookies set by this site)